Author: Ms Beatriz Ferreira STSM Period: 2021-09-01 – 2021-09-15
Hosting institution: University of Florence
PURPOSE OF THE STMS
The purpose of this STSM was to work on a critical analysis and discussion with experts regarding the existing corpora of published science focused on the use of wearable sensors to monitor and diagnose tremors associated with Parkinson’s disease.
The researcher in the host institution is one of the authors of an existing systematic literature review published in 2017, on the use of wearable sensors to support Parkinson’s disease diagnosis and treatment. Besides the critical analysis and discussion, there was the objective of making conclusions on the limitations of the existing state of the art and defining the next steps towards augmenting the knowledge in this area. Furthermore, ideas on the proposed computation framework were to be exchanged.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK CARRIED OUT DURING THE STSMS
The work carried out during the STSM consisted of:
• Evaluation of the work previously developed;
• Discussing and proposing changes to that work in other complete it and to further its utility on this area of studies. These changes involved, for example, changes in keywords and in the parameters used to select the relevant papers;
• Defining the limitations and the next steps to surpass them;
• The assistance and discussion of different questions regarding different publications and information already available in this topic;
• Discussion regarding the sensors and methods of collecting data from tremor associated with Parkinson’s Disease;
• Discussion on how to structure a future publication regarding these topics.
DESCRIPTION OF THE MAIN RESULTS OBTAINED
The main results were towards a draft for a future publication regarding the existing corpora in the topic of wearable sensors for the evaluation of tremors associated with Parkinson’s disease.
Those results include:
• Results from the research with new, and more inclusive keywords;
• Inclusion for analysis of more publications regarding different aspects and perspectives on the topic of research, that were not previously analyzed;
• Selection of articles from their title and abstract, using the chosen selection criteria;
• Articles selected through screening the full text and information collected from those articles.
Further collaborative work will be in the finalization of an article and in its publication. Furthermore, additional collaborative work could happen in an experimental development and testing of sensors used to monitor tremor. As well as, potentially, in the development of a master thesis.